Every December as New Years day approaches, how many times have you promised yourself to lose weight, transform your body? You start to gather up as many diet tips, healthy recipes, fitness programs that you can find in the run up to New Years day so you are fully prepared for midnight to strike and that resolution to kick in.
You don’t need me to tell you that millions of people make the same resolutions every year. In fact, surveys show that this is the number one resolution in the entire world. It is also the fastest resolution to get broken. Many don’t get past the first week. Most don’t get past February.
One of the main reasons for this is that you and so many others have slip ups with your diet, despite all the diet tips and healthy recipes that you sought out before you started, you still fail on this aspect and end up feeling guilty and telling yourself that you just don’t have the discipline. You then tell yourself that it will never work and simply give up.
This is such a pity and I urge you to not do this, because you are all you have and if you give up on yourself, then who is going to help you? The road to personal fitness is your road and it’s yours alone. Others may walk it with you, encourage you motivate you but nobody can walk it for you.
So before you ever think that you don’t have what it takes, let’s examine two of the main reasons why you and others slip up when it comes to the diet side of a fitness goal and then let me give you my diet tips on how to overcome those slips up.
My diet tips are ones that I implement for myself and are the same ones that all of my successful clients have incorporated in their own fitness journeys- so they work!
Why you may slip up: –
- Unrealistic goals
This is without a doubt the main reason. If you have been eating pizza, junk food, sodas, doughnuts, etc. for years and then you immediately go from that extreme to the opposite extreme of lean chicken and green vegetables. This change is too drastic. Yet, you do it, creating unrealistic expectations and think that your will power is extremely strong. In most cases, it isn’t.
- Letting one slip up make you give up
If you accidentally dropped your mobile phone on the floor, what would you do? You’d most probably pick it up, dust it off and check if it’s all ok and be more careful. Would you pick it up and keep smashing it on the floor just because you accidentally dropped it once?
No way! Yet, when it comes to the diet, you make one mistake and throw the entire diet away just because you had a doughnut or a plate of pasta.
So now here are my diet tips to ensure you don’t throw in the towel simply because you had a slight set back.
- Diet tip 1 -Unrealistic goals, unrealistic expectations and aiming for perfection. First thing is first if you need to lose weight you must remember your weight gain did not happen overnight so you cannot expect your weight loss to happen overnight. I understand this may not be what you want to read but it is important. Until you are prepared to give yourself at least the same amount of time to lose the weight as you did putting it on, every day will be a very difficult mental and physical battle for you and when your stress levels rise, when the body is stressed your cortisol levels are raised and when your cortisol levels are raised fat/weight loss pretty much STOP DEAD IN THEIR TRACKS.
- Diet tip 2. Set smaller goals. You should only be aiming to lose a maximum of two pounds per week in weight. This ensures that your weight loss is mainly body fat rather than muscle. At the start of any new diet weight loss can be high but this is mainly water weight at the beginning and will almost certainly slow down. So do not be disheartened, slow and steady is the best way to get in shape and stay in shape.
- Diet tip 3- Expect yourself to slip up. It’s a given. You know what? It’s human to slip up. Everybody does it. You just pick yourself up and try to be more compliant to the diet. You may have read that a good body is 30% exercise and 70% diet. The truth is that a good body is 100% commitment. And… commitment is very difficult. That’s why obesity is an epidemic. It’s difficult to commit. If you’ve already started, don’t give up. Anytime you feel like it, remember why you started. Success is not linear. You will take three steps forward, two back, five forward, maybe six back… whatever the case may be, only one rule holds true. You must keep going. So you ate that glazed doughnut… well, that’s ok. You will run for 15 minutes and burn it off later. Don’t tell yourself, “Argh! I ate one doughnut. My diet is screwed. I better just eat the remaining 5 doughnuts in the box”. NO! DON’T DO IT. STOP, JUST STOP THAT VICIOUS CYCLE!
- Diet tip 4. Use the reduce and replace method. If you eat pizza every day or once a week, then cut down to half a pizza. If you have white bread every day, then replace it with wholemeal bread. If you have 3 sugars then reduce to 2, then 1 then none. Stop trying to do everything at once, you will almost certainly fail. Why do you think I give myself at least 16 weeks to get ready for one of my fitness competition’s? Getting into top shape is more a mental battle than a physical one and it is important for me to do the journey over time not just to look my best physically but to protect my mental well-being, remember what I have already mentioned about stress levels.
Well there you go, now that you know that you should aim to set your goals in incremental levels and not be too hard on yourself, stop worrying about those times you mess up your diet and focus on getting it right as much as you can. Be positive, things will always go wrong even with the best made plans but that doesn’t mean, the whole plan is or has to be a failure. Learn from things when they go wrong, that’s the only way, often when things go wrong, in the long run they can be the best thing to happen to you. And if you need any more proof of of how well these tips work, take a look at how toned I got my abs in 50 days. I detailed down all my meals and how I did this in my ‘Simple Fat Loss’ Meal Program . If you want your own copy to ensure your truly achieve your own success, just click the picture of my abs below to order your’s now.
And remember if you keep giving up you will never ever know how successful you can be.